Saturday, February 19, 2011

An Interview with Rachel Ashwell

My interview with Rachel Ashwell was intended to be a feature in my magazine 'The Feminine Home", however with a new book coming out in Oct. and her latest project The Prairie B&B, it never came together to meet my deadline in Dec. Nonetheless, it is here now for you to read and find inspiration from this gracious, and talented lady.
Enjoy!!!!
My readers are die-hard fans of Shabby Chic, in general your philosophy for living a purposeful life of beauty in particular. For me, Shabby Chic is revolutionary in the design world- It has changed the way people decorate their homes in many aspects.



For starters, the name for instance; “Shabby Chic” is the perfect marriage and really says it all. Can you tell us how you came up with the name; when was your “light bulb moment” when the two- Shabby & Chic, came together in perfect harmony?


Over 20 years ago when I was starting the business there was an article in the British magazine World of Interiors titled Shabby Chic, the name suited the shop I was about to open perfectly.


You have said you have drawn a lot of your inspiration from your mother, who else inspires you and your style?


I get inspired by the unsung heroes. People who I meet at the flea markets who put their heart and souls into their products and their presentation. Always unique and heartfelt.


You have also said that you have no formal schooling in design, that life has been your school. If you were not an interior designer what would you be?

 I think I would like to be a film producer.


So many designers are doing television shows on HGTV and other channels. I have seen your show on the Style Network years ago and loved it. Is that something that interests you now Rachel?


Doing a show is a lot of work, I am focusing on making the Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Couture™ stores as magical as possible as well as working on my licenses for Shabby Chic® and Simply Shabby Chic®, while I will never rule it out completely it is not on my radar right now.


Your blog is so warm, personal and inspirational- it’s like reading a book of poetry. Do you have a quote or motto that you live by?


I really like this quote by Kenneth Cole, I used it on a recent blog “It’s amazing what you find if you look in the opposite direction.

What do you do to relax? What is a perfect day for you?


Sipping tea, working in the garden, walking on the beach


If you could be anyone else for a day, who would you be?


 Bruce Springsteen


Is there anything coming up for “Simply Shabby Chic collection” at Target? I love your white slip covered sofas- would this be something we could find at Target in the future?


 We are always working on new launches in bedding for Simply Shabby Chic at Target. There will not be a line of slipcovered furniture for Target does offer Simply Shabby Chic Loose slipcovers that work with many different style sofas and are very affordable.


What are you working on right now?


A new book and the prairie a small b&B


18 comments:

BELLE BLANC said...

Hi Jo-Anne,
such a great interview with Rachel, thank you so much for that! Hope you are fine, hearty greetings, Mira!

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hi Jo~Anne, thank you for sharing your interview with Rachel... so inspiring!... and the photos are just beautiful... love to you... xoxo Julie Marie PS We just adopted a little stray we found named "Tess"... she sends doggie kisses to Jessy!...

Suzann said...

Hello Jo-Anne,
What a sweet thing to share the interview you had with Rachel, I fell in love with her style long ago.
Thank you for sharing.
I also love all the things that you create, love all your sweet rose paintings.
Suzann ~xoxox~

Heather said...

How fun! Such a great peek into the Shabby Chic Queen's world. I am also thrilled to have found your blog through searching for hers. Cant wait to browse a bit more!

Shirley said...

Hi Jo~Anne,
I was just browsing through some of my magazine and came across the feature you did in Romantic Country#85..I thought to myself, I know this lady..I'm so happy that I still had this copy. Everything is so pretty and a lovely reflection on you too! I'm going to keep this issue forever!
Have a wonderful weekend,
~Shirley

One Shabby Old House said...

What must it be like to have inspired so many people with her beautiful style and grace. I can't wait to see what her B&B will be like and where does one go to book a room. I know that I am willing to get on that waiting list.
Thanks for sharing one of my favorite people.
Hugs
Becky

Bella said...

Hi Jo-Anne,
Oh how fun to do THE interview! Lucky you, you did a great job! Hugs,
Bella

Mary Ellen said...

Great interview Jo-Anne. I love the Shabby Chic style and try to in cooperate it as I can in my Victorian home- hmmm maybe that would be Shabby Chic Victorian----

bee blessed
mary

Vintage Amethyst said...

Oh what a wonderful interview.
Thank you so much.
Rachel really is an inspiration!
I love the Bruce Springsteen bit too as I'm such a huge Springsteen fan! *Giggle*
love
Alison
x

Bohemian said...

What a great interview with one of my fav Designer Icons... her Style and philosophy have certainly revolutionized decorating with Found Treasures and casual yet beautiful living with what you love. I'm looking forward to her newest Book and that charming B&B she's opening.

Dawn... The Bohemian

laura said...

What a lovely interview. You said it her blog is like poetry. Ialso want you to know how much I cherish your beautiful book. God bless. xo Laura

A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Jo~Anne!

Great interview! So excited about her B&B...don't you wish it was closer!!s

Sandy said...

You rock, Jo-Anne! Congrats --- revealing interview I loved it!

xoxox

Bisous,

Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio
http://myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com/

Jem said...

I've only just come across your blog through a link to your interview with Rachel in a post of Alison's on Vintage Amethyst. I'm so glad a popped over, what an airy and beautiful corner of the web!

Jem xXx

Elyse said...

hi jo-anne,

lovely interview with an inspiring lady!

xo
elyse

Anonymous said...

un incanto....davvero.

Anonymous said...

un incanto....davvero.

Anonymous said...

che meraviglia