Monday, August 10, 2009


ohh, how I love the enchanting watercolors of Susan Wheeler. Her irresistible artwork draws from the traditional sentiments of childhood, with the warm and cozy feeling of "Home". Her love of family and home is cherished above all earthy possessions and reflects on a quieter lifestyle.

Strolling the cobblestone walkways of Ottawa, Canada while visiting with my Dad, reminded me of my childhood; When my Dad and I would go to the marketplace and do our weekly shopping.

At Tuckers Marketplace Ottawa-

(Can you see Jessy's little head peeking out of my tote bag on the far left?)

I have a weakness for decorated sugar apples, yum!
We had a wonderful visit with my Dad.He lives in a high rise appartment so when we arrived Dad was anxiously waiting for us at the end of a long hallway. Well, Jessy took one look at Dad and ran into his arms like you see in an old romantic movie. It was just adorable! It was touching to see them together again...( of course I needed tissues...

On the outskirts of Ottawa you will find farm after farm carrying everything from baby carrots, broccoli, beets, corn on the cob and homemade pies. Here we are stopping to buy Dad's favorite, Strawberry Rubarb pie...


On the top photo- left to right-Cousin Debbie, Sue, my sister Cheryl, cousin Jackie, and moi.
Dad is captured top left with the RCMP. Bottom middle, Dad relaxing in the lobby. Bottom left me and jessy. Far bottom right Dad holding little Jessy.


The following day, we all decided to take a ride to our old neighborhood. This is where I was born, Norton Ave in Ottawa. We moved to the US when I was only five, so my memory of this house is vague. However, I do remember sitting on the step one summer day, daydreaming while blowing bubbles, and curiously asking my mother, "Why is my name Jo-Anne"; ( Not exactly crazy about it, and to a 5 year old, names are big... So, I'm thinking, I'll just get mom to change it for me..LOL... My mom recalled this story and remembered me wishing for the name, "Michelle"...As the true story has it, My Godmother's name was Anne, and my Godfather's was Joe, hence Jo-Anne.. I loved them both dearly, and since they couldn't have children, they asked my mom if she would name her new baby girl, Jo-Anne..How adorable is that! Of course my mother thought the sentiment was lovely, and so do I...Thank you Auntie Anne, for a beautiful name...

I would like to leave you with yet another magically painting by Susan Wheeler. A favorite of mine that tells an unspoken story of family, friendship and love...
Until next time angel friends,
Jo-Anne
xo

23 comments:

KIMBERLY said...

OH JO-ANNE
THAT WAS SUCH A GREAT STORY.YOU NEVER TOLD ME. UNCLE MOE LOOKS GOOD AND SO DOES JESSY.
YOUR COUSIN KIM

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Oh Jo~Anne, what a lovely post! I adore Susan Wheeler's bunnies too, they always make me smile...Yes, I saw little Jessy peeking out of your totebag, how cute! And I have a weakness for yummy caramel/candied apples as well...those look scrumptious! My two favorite parts of the post are the beautiful story of how you got your name, and favorite of all is how happy sweet little Jessy and your dear daddy were to see each other, brought tears to my eyes... much love to you and doggie kisses to Jessy... Julie

Cindy said...

Anything with cobblestone pathways in it, I love. These bunnies are the softest ones I've ever seen. I love that you love to go home and that you love your daddy. And I am glad that there was a story about your name. That's so cool!

An artist by the name of Farrell Collett, very lovingly painted my fathers hourses when he first moved to Huntsville.

We had a daughter born in 1979, we named her Casey Collett, because we loved the name Collett.

I adore History of things.

Have a wonderful day Jo Anne.

Bunny Rose Cottage said...

Hi Jo-Anne!
I LOVE Susan Wheeler too! She is one of my favorites :) My husband got me the cutest plate by her a few years ago with a little girl serving tea to a bunny in a tree. Just too cute and perfect for my home. It stays in my kitchen :) Her paintings just make you feel happy.

What a beautiful family post. You are so pretty! I just love seeing pics and hearing about your trip to see your daddy! I am so close to my dad too. It is such a blessing to have a wonderful father and to have that influence in your life. I feel so bad for those that dont.
Hugs,
Amy

Bunny Rose Cottage said...

The story of your name is so touching!!! I love the way you write :)

tales from an oc cottage said...

I adore those bunnies! My friend DeeDee loved them too, and always gave us those cards. She died 4 years ago next week, they will always remind me of her! Thx for the memory!

m ^..^

Nicky said...

i love the little pictures you've posted! and I can almost see it happen jessy running to your dad... o.m.g. how romantic. cute as he is looking out of your bag on the market. have a nice day!

Rebecca @ Belle Blog said...

Hi Jo Anne,
what a pretty blog post. I have been waiting for you to make a new post, and this one was definitely worth the wait. I have never seen Susan Wheeler's paintings before, but they are adorable. Those caramel apples are making me hungry. I would surely eat one for breakfast right now if i had one!!
♥ Rebecca

Elyse said...

hi jo-anne,

what a sweet post. so nice to read about your family visit, the origin of your name, and the illustrations are wonderful. i love these types of pictures in stories. the last image reminds me of the country mouse story.

thanks for sharing

xo

Tina said...

Love your beautiful paintings~ Your sweet Daddy touched my heart. My Daddy is with the Lord now.

Jo-Anne is a pretty name for a very pretty lady~ enjoyed my visit to your wonderful blog!

Tina~
www.cherryhillcottage.typepad.com

TattingChic said...

With such charming places to visit as a child (and now) no wonder you have such a gift for painting such charming home portraits! Whe is a fabulous artist. I have a plaque with some Susan Wheeler art on it that my Mother gave me when I was an 11 year old girl.

Tutti Chic said...

Jo~Glad your trip was wonderful~I'm sure your trip perked your dear dad up so much! jesse is an adorable pooch & is so sweet peeking out of your tote...
I LOVE susan wheelers bunnies & love the last painting you left us with. The light is streaming out of the windows & it's such a cozy scene.candied apples?~the thought has made me so hungry I'm raiding the kitchen right now!:) xo chris p.s. can't sleep tonight so I'll eat & dream of candied apples!

LantlivsAnette said...

Hello my friend !
Sorry i dont sell the book, but try here www.mittljuvahem.com
www.mollyshus.se
they sell the book !!
So lovely pictures you show us, and a lovely story...
From Anette in Sweden

Romantiska Hem said...

www.fridasgard.se
www.cestlaviehome.se
www.homenumberone.se
www.meandmyhome.se
www.alvashus.se
also got the book, hihi
Love Petra

Roberta said...

Hi Jo, Finally checking in on your time with Dad... I too love strawberry-rhubarb pie and the sweet story of how you were named! Such pretty pictures of you. Did you bring Jessy back with you?
xo Roberta

A Romantic Porch said...

Jo Anne, I love this story. How wonderful to visit childhood memories! xo rachel

Vicki said...

Hello, Jo-Anne,
Thank you for bringing to remembrance these sweet paintings of Susan Wheeler. I remember I had some cards of these paintings, and I loved them so much I framed them. Her work is magical! Your painting is wonderful, too. I have always admired your art. I have a passion for roses and all things beautiful. Have a blessed week. Vicki

Gina said...

Mmm, candy apples. I love the way you describe the long hallway that linked your love together. I love your photos, you are a real beauty.

June said...

Hi Jo-Anne. I love your name! I love the story of how it came to be your name. Your trip home must have been wonderful and your father looks so content sitting there with your little Jessy. I enjoy your lovely blog and your beautiful art.
Smiles,
June

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Such a lovely post!
It sounds like you had a wonderful visit and happy doggy reunion with your dad. :)
The Susan Wheeler artwork is beautiful. Love those cute bunnies.

And, Oh My! Your home portraits are stunning! What a lovely sense of home you've captured for your clients in your paintings.

Kimberly

Tutti Chic said...

Where is Jo-anne? Miss your posts! xo chris

Gail McCormack said...

Hi Jo
I just came over to check on you, and I found this wonderful post, which I must admitt made me a bit teary - I remember when I was little being lost in book illustraions similar to yours, I hope many other "little ones" will do the same and not soley rely on DVDs, Computer Images or whatever to let them escape to fantasy land.

Lovely to see photos of you with your family, as for that little Jessy!!! I thought our Guss was spoilt

Happy weekend to you
Gail ~ xo

schererart said...

Beautiful work!