Saturday, November 15, 2008



I recall a story my mother told about her childhood in Nova Scotia. In those days, there was very little money for ornaments and gifts, but the one thing her family did have every year was a tree- not just any tree, but a gigantic evergreen that reached the ceiling. Every Christmas Eve, my grandfather would head for the mountains to cut down a tree and cart it home. Anxiously awaiting his return, my grandmother would busy herself in the kitchen, baking apple pies and gingerbread cookies, while the children were stringing popcorn, cranberries, buttons and candy canes for the tree. They laughed, sang Christmas carols and enjoyed a generous dose of togetherness. Today, as you find yourself in the midst of the hustle and bustle, take a moment to reflect on a time when Christmas was much simpler.


I was fortune to write the feature story of my friend Gay Van Beek's elegant home. In this issue, we illustrate how you can embrace your traditions and introduce new, simple twists to make this Christmas extra special for your family and friends.

It was the Victorians who, in the mid-19th century, popularized fanciful Christmas decoration. They lavishly bedecked their homes with delicate bulbs, romantic mistletoe and sparkling tree-toppers. For many, collecting Christmas keepsakes has become not only a family tradition, but a soul-satisfying pursuit. Each cherished heirloom we collect has a story to tell...

Dovetales Magazine-http://www.dovetalesantiquesandhome.com/home.html



The enchantment of a very pink Old St. Nick captures the young at heart and tell us Christmas is on the way...

A vintage bottle brush -tree is accompanied by a collection of antique mecury-glass ornaments.


Traditional colors of the holidays are cast aside for a pinkish spell...

-As the enchantment of the season fills us with anticipation and excitement, let us remember the the true meaning of Christmas--not of the material things and presents, but that which brings true peace and tranquility to the heart and spirit...

I want to thank you for your kindness to me through this difficult time. I am truly grateful for the love, grace and support of my family and friends...

Wishing you a Blessed Thanksgiving and a Happy Holiday Season my sweet blog friends! xoxo

Love to you, Jo-Anne

28 comments:

TattingChic said...

Thank you for the lovely Christmas photos, they are inspiring. The story of your Mother's former Christmases in Nova Scotia is very touching, thanks for sharing.
That magazine layout is fabulous and congrats on your magazine article publication. How exciting!

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Jo-Anne,
What a lovely reminder to stop and take in the beauty of the season. I am so excited because my copy of Dovetales arrived just two days ago and has a special place on my coffee table, just waiting to be savored over the long Thanksgiving weekend.

What a special sharing of your mother's Christmas times and your grandfather going to get that huge tree ~ Ahh, beautiful Nova Scotia.

As always, beautiful photos and a calm that flows through your sharing of all things lovely.

Happy Sunday
xoxo~Tracie

Alice W. said...

It looks beautiful...as is the sentiment...thank you for sharing ;)

Heather said...

What a beautiful post!! You really do need to take a step back when things get hurried and remember the real purpose of the holidays. Thank you for that reminder- and for all of the lovely photos.
-Heather:)

Pink Slippers said...

I can't stop staring at the beautiful pictures in my new Dovetales in your article. It isb eautiful and dreamy. I have read it over and over again. Thank you.

Stacy's Shabby Shoppe said...

Jo ~ just received my copy of Dovetales. What a lovely article! Keep it up ~ thinking of you girl! ~Stace! xoxo

Violet said...

Hi Jo-Anne, Nice to meet you! I found your blog just today and have so enjoyed the beauty. I just heard of Dovetails this week, it looks like a fabulous magazine!

A Romantic Porch said...

Jo-Ann, I love your touching memories of a Christmas past for your mother's family. Maybe when times are hard, we look for joy more intently. I've been thinking of you so much. I pray you are blessed during this special season of year. The Dovetails magazine looks so beautiful. I need to get one too. I so happy your writing was featured. Bless you dear one! Love, Rachel

Becky said...

Hello JoAnne,
Your tree is simply stunning. I wish you many happy memory making days. If I can't get the vision of your tree out of my head my guess is that your family will remember your tree with the same fondness as your Mother's memory.
Blessing.
Becky

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful post and the lovely pictures.

Blessings,
Brook

Trisha said...

Jo-Anne,
I just received my copy of Dovetails magazine! What a treasure! Congratulations on another wonderful article with fabulous pictures!

Trisha Evans
my2roses
a vintage white

Kathy said...

Jo-Anne, your blog and your art is simply wonderful! I've enjoyed my first visit here...Kathy

Elyse said...

beautiful! everything is beautiful! happy thanksgiving

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Just dropped by to give you a hug and wish you Happy Thanksgiving, Jo.

You're in my thoughts this holiday season (and always!).
From my house to yours ;)
xoxo~Tracie

Marie Antionette said...

So,Soooo,Beautiful.Beautiful room,beautiful tree.I drooped by to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving and all the blessings that go with it.Hugs Marie Antionette

Lauriemama said...

This is one of the tougher Christmases for my family. Economically, we are having the most difficult time in our 11 year marriage...I seek wonderful solace looking at your website and pictures, and know that in spite of the challenges around us, I can still sit in my living room, and throughout my house filled with many trees, and quite a pink Christmas... even with two little boys and a husband...who still appreciate all my decorating and hard work. I did step back after reading your blog last night, and feel grateful I can still call this little cottage home. I am so sorry for your recent loss, and hope you will also experience better days !! Thank you Joanne for this website that I seek out regularly....

Shabby Rose Cottage said...

Loved this issue of Dovetails, your article was of course my favorite. I am very sorry for your loss, mine has been gone for a few years now and I still miss her. Hugs and Prayers to you and your family...Sandra

Becky said...

Your tree is my very favorite.
Just Beautiful.
Hugs
Becky

Becky said...

I just keep coming back to see your beautiful decorations.
Hugs
Becky

Pink Slippers said...

Thank you for your kind comments.
It's funny how even though your Grandfather & Grandmother may not have had much money but the togetherness and special memories are better then anything money could buy. I love to hear of old Christmas' like that then any store bought money spending ones. Your story brings a smile to my face and makes me think of ways to bring that to my family. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful part of your families past.
Wendy

ceekay said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to your mother and father was beautiful. That Christmas tree is gorgeous!

Sandi@ My Yellow Door said...

Hi Jo-anne,
Your blog is so beautiful! Your room with the tree in it is just splendid! Love it; just so cozy and beautiful at the same time.
I enjoyed your telling of your mother's Christmases; those were the days! A simpler way of celebrating "the most wonderful time of the year."

Blessings,
Sandi

Pear Street Studios said...

I now subscribe to that awesome magazine and I saw your pictures and article! Great job my friend!

Couture de Papier said...

I am so sorry for your loss..you have been in my thoughts past couple weeks? Prayers...

My Shabby Roses said...

Jo-Anne, your living room just looks beautiful.
I'm going to have to find the Dovetale magazine, it looks like a lot of fun!

bybethearringart said...

I love visiting your blog, it is so beautiful & inspiring!
Elizabeth.

Stacy's Shabby Shoppe said...

Jo Jo ~ hope your holiday season is wonderful. I'll have to send you an email soon to catch you up on the latest news...it seems like we haven't chatted in ages. Take a peek at my blog. I listed another lovely shop last night that I know you will love! ~Stacy~ xo

MaygreenFairies said...

What a beautiful blog, I shall definitely be returning. So glad I stumbled across you. xx