Saturday, January 19, 2008

I had the pleasure of meeting a very special customer in my home town a while back and never forgot her mesmerizing presence and how she made me feel. Maureen Rand teaches workshops in Duxbury Ma. on Creating Inspirational spaces by recognizing our uniqueness and bringing awareness of the beauty around us. Our environment is so purposeful for our health and well being.

She is inspired by many writers such as Sarah Ban Breathnach, who has mentored so many women, in helping us reclaim ourselves in many profound and effective ways.
Maureen's home is everything serene and tranquil, overlooking the quiet Marshes of MarshfieldHills. Maureen is the Author of " We are that beauty". Maureen says, " My desire in writing this story is to rekindle remembrance of ourselves as creative beings and to recognize that, We are that Beauty.
I want to share with you a small portion of Maureen's Book, Enjoy!


We Are That Beauty by Maureen Rand

For over twenty-five years, as an Interior Decorator, I surrounded myself, and brought to others a reflection of their own inner beauty. For I truly believe that as we look around us at our personal spaces, and that of the world at large, we are viewing a reflection of our own inner selves. Often we harbor within, that sense that “ We are not good enough”, “ we don’t deserve, or “ we can’t measure up.” I believe our fear, is of our own magnificence. As children we are often chastised for “ blowing our own horn “, “ Don’t be such an egotist,” “ Oh, excuse me, whose patting herself on the back?” We associate shame with all self accolades, so we gradually, slowly began our descent into self- denigrating thoughts and sometimes behaviors.
The truth is, we are magnificent beings of Light, reflecting our source. Slowly but confidently, many of us are awakening to that profound truth. How could our beloved source have created inferior beings, inferior reflections of self?
With this as my premise, I shall attempt to convey, how we are all beautiful beings, Each and Everyone one of Us, no exceptions, and as we create beauty around us, we will begin to recognize its reflection as our own.
This quote from Nelson Mandella exemplifies this perfectly.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our Light not our Darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant,
Gorgoues, talented, and fabulous!
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God
Your playing small doesn’t serve the world.
There is nothing enlightening about
Shrinking so that other people won’t feel
Insecure around you.
WE were born to manifest the glory of God
That is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it’s in everyone.
And as we let our own Light shine, we
Unconsciously give other people
Permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our
Presence automatically liberates others.

I believe it all starts with Self. We often view today what we perceive to be colorless or dreary. How can we change that beauty? Good question! It appears to be the 100th monkey syndrome at work. As I brighten, enhance and beautify my space, the trickle effect takes hold, and others feeling uplifted, create their own form of beauty. I have occasionally dropped off notes in mailboxes thanking the people for the beauty they have created in a neighborhood. We all smile and feel uplifted as we drive by their creative homes.
My husband has taken on, as have many in our town, an Adopt and island, project and as we work on this island, so many smiling people drive by, waving and calling, Thanks for creating a Spot of beauty at a busy roadway. These are our ways of being the Monkey, which affects us all.

By Maureen Rand
You can read more of “We are that beauty” by ordering your copy at- e-mail at- KMRand@aol.com




Returning home on the eve of my Birthday, I was surprised with a cozy home cooked meal. Roast beef dinner, mashed potatoes, green beans and my absolute favorite carvel ice cream cake with hot fudge. I didn't even know my husband could cook. (Boy is he in trouble..) The house was aglow with candlelite, they were everywhere like in a scary way; soft music playing in the background, a cozy fire crackling, with vases filled with pink roses. My husband told me he assigned Andrew whose 12, to set the table, and I had to smile when I walked in.. Everyones setting was the same except for mine. He placed two crystal angels by my special rose plate, he brought out the real silver utensils, one antique goblet, a pink cloth napkin, and a single rose layed across my plate. Sitting on my chair was a hand made card with a picture of a rose, silver glitter and a pink bow that Andrew embellished himself. While hubby was out, Andrew realized there were no birthday candles to be found so he walked to the store and bought them with his own money. I can't express how proud I felt at that moment as a mother of a son. I always hoped they would grow to be loving, thoughtful, and caring men and its a comforting feeling to know he will make a wonderful loving husband one day. I wish I had a photo but I was too much in the moment to pull myself away. Some may prefer dinner out in a fancy restaurant on their birthday but a home cooked meal with my family warms my heart every time...A precious evening I will cherish, always...
Andrew's homemade card...
Thank you Natalie for your yummy goodies, they were delich!
Trish your an angel! The flowers were beautiful!

Wishing you love and sunshine for a beautiful week,
Jo-Anne

38 comments:

Antique Paperie said...

Dearest what a lovely post! I tried not to cry, but I did!! I loved the precious story about Andrew - as I have small children, I too hope that my boys will grow into caring and considerate men someday. I just enjoyed reading that so much.
I will be buying that wonderful book from Maureen! I am so thankful you mentioned it here, and I will send an email tonight! It sounds like just the thing I need right now. I am on very shaky ground with my confidence.

Sweets, I just want to say how much I admire you. You are a beautiful and phenomenal woman. I love reading what you write, I love seeing your gorgeous photos, and I am thrilled to know you. YOU are that beauty :)
xo Sherri

Suzy said...

Hi Jo-Anne,
it is a wonderful surprise they made for you and you did a great job raising them.
Happy Birthday!

Suzy

cjan said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to blog and share yourself with us! I have admired your beautiful artwork for quite some time and your christian spirit shines through what you do as well.

Your birthday dinner sounds lovely and yes, It's so meaningful when those you love are the ones putting it on for you. I'm with you, I'd rather have that kind of a birthday than any other. One wants to hold those moments in their mind forever!!

Hugs,
Jan

Alice W. said...

Sounds like such a beautiful and memorable birthday! Such sweet touches your family adored you with!!! Happy Birthday Joanne!

Rachel said...

Thank you for sharing, both about the book and your birthday. What lovely expressions. If I haven't told you before, it bears repeating. I'm so pleased to have found your blog, as I've admired you and your artwork for several years.

Brook said...

Thank you for sharing such beautiful and inspiring words!
Brook

Counting Your Blessings said...

Beautiful! Created in His image yet I consume myself with feeling fat or having a bad hair day. It's all in the focus, isn't it?! Thanks for a wonderful post. Blessings... Polly

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

OH, so touching!! Thank you for sharing the book!! How wonderful!!

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Happy Birthday! Wow, I'm so impressed with your son. That is really special!

Rachel said...

Have a day as beautiful as you are!

Sanya Pallos said...

Happy Belated Birthday Sweet Jo-Anne!
How amazingly blessed are you my dear friend! It only shows how lovingly your sons have been raised by you both and what a wonderful example they have in your husband. The old saying goes, "you get what you give", and you my dear are truly a giver of much love and grace, it is only fitting that you would have your family do the same in return.

Seding you love & good wishes always,
Sanya

Gail said...

I'm so glad you left a comment on my friends blog,"Lavendar Loft" so I could find my way here to you...
Your blog has EVERYTHING that I enjoy so much,starting with being a Christian, a lover of vintgage,
of roses,all things victorian, well you get the idea,I will be back. HAPPY BIRTHDAY & BE BLESSED

blogcabinfever said...

I am enjoying your site and blog very much. Thank you for the kind comments you left on my blog. Happy Birthday to you...and many more.
Pam <><

Antique Paperie said...

It's me again my dear - I had the pleasure of emailing & visiting with Maura - she is as genuine as you described here in this post. We've exchanged Addresses & I am excited to be recieving my very own copy of her writing! Thank you again dearest for mentioning this wonderful woman and including her email - take care sweetie!
xo Sherri

Vintage and romantica said...

Hello!
When I saw your blog, I just said: -oh, my gud!!! It´s so beautiful and romantic. I can be here forever and "smell the roses"!Its just so lovely!
Take care --<-@ Caroline

Vintage Rose Collection said...

Sherri, Im so happy you contacted Maura, your going to love this book and go back to it time and again...
Love to you Jo
xo

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

What a wonderful post Jo! I truly enjoyed the little piece by Maureen Rand.

Happy belated birthday! What a wonderful husband and son you have. What a wonderful evening for you.
Hugs,
Penny

Charlotte said...

All I can say is WOW! WOW! WOW! AND DOUBLE WOW!

Catherine Holman said...

Jo-Anne, Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet compliment. What a wonderful family you have to surprise you with such a sweet and considerate gift! I love your artwork and wish I could paint those beautiful roses. Such talent!

Raised In Cotton said...

Oh my goodness, your post brought tears to my eyes. Simply beautiful. Thank You,
Blessings,
Carol

Rachel said...

I am just dropping by to say hello, and I noticed how beautiful you are in the picture on the front page of your blog. You fit right in with your beautiful artwork. <3Rachel

Vintage and romantica said...

Everytime I come to this site, I start smiling. Its so pink, "rosie" and happy!
I love that kitchen...remake stuff.
I must come here everyday, for a smile!
--<--@ Caroline

Tracie said...

Hi Jo-Anne,
Thank you for visiting my blog. I love the soothing colors of your blog & all the beauty as well you have shared.

What a beautiful post as well, very inspiring and something to really take to heart.

I will be back many times to visit and I hope you don't mind me putting a link to your postings here.

By the way, you've got great taste in movies, Meg Ryan romantic movies are wonderful...

xoxo,
Tracie

Enchanted Treasures said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jo! Beautiful memories in the making! Love the skin products. My skin was so thirsty and the package came just in time for my trip! xoxo Roberta

Vanilla dreams and humblebees said...

Oh thank you!
And I´m very glad you found me... so I found you!!!!

You have a beautyful and very charming blog! Wonderful romantic pictures! It´s just lovely...

I have to visit you often, very often!

Hugs from Sweden/ Jenny
--<-@

Rachel said...

Happy Sunday Jo-Anne. Just thinking of you. Love,Rachel

Tracie said...

Evening, Jo-Anne,
I just have to keep coming back to your beautiful site. You've got many inspirational posts and your romantic style is something that I would like to strive toward in our little cottage here - even on a hectic day like today.

I love the before/after photos, they're unbelievable, makes me want to tear down a wall (or two).
xoxo, Tracie

Ragged Roses said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you for visiting me and leaving a comment, it has been a delight to visit you today and read your post and look at your gorgeous photos
Kimx

Kathy ~Vintage Snaps & Scraps~ said...

Hi Jo-Anne,
Thank you so much for your most kind words on my blog. I take it as a very special compliment coming from you after visiting your blog. I loved my visit and this post is just wonderful! I will come back to visit~ your blog is simply ~beauty~
Kathy

Rachel said...

Just want to let you know...you make me smile! xo today, Rachel

Vanilla dreams and humblebees said...

What a lovely story about your family and your birthday! What a wonderful surprise!

I have linked you to my blogg and I hope that´s ok with you?

--<-@
Jenny

Mandii said...

Hi there, OMG!! what a truely breath taking blog! Your pictures are just super pretty!! WOW I'll be back for sure! mandii

Diana at Chloe's Chic Boutique said...

I'm so glad that your husband and son made your birthday so special and memorable!

Maureens book sounds great... I will check it out.

Blessings,
Diana

Simply Me Art said...

Wow, what a beautiful post and a simply lovely blog. So glad I stopped in. Can not wait to stop in again. nice to meet you, Jamie

Bethany said...

Really love this post...I have come by a couple of times to read and re-read it and though the inspirational part at the beginning was really great...the part about the special attention paid to you on your special day was sooo wonderful, loving and special. Made me think of my own little boy and hubby and the ways they go the "extra special" mile to make me smile....lovely :)

Tracie said...

Good evening Jo,
Love the Beauty du Jour sidebar, haven't seen that picture of Marilyn Monroe before - love the way her hair flips! I've got three pictures tucked inside my vanity while getting ready in the a.m. - love the corset, well all of it, so feminine.
Happy week!
Tracie

Vintage and Romantica said...

Hello!
As always a big smile to you!
I love being here. Its always a pleasure to visit you.
I been sick for a couple of days so my computer has been shoot down. But now Im back in business again. So I went here to check out you knew updates. Lovely story!!!
Thanks for always getting me a smile =)
Big hug all the way over the sea from Sweden to you.
--<@ Caroline

Suzy said...

Please stop by I have something for you!

Love, Suzy